Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's Like Wearing Pajamas!

Scrubs...it's like getting to wear pajamas to work. So comfy! I love my scrubs. In my school, we wear scrubs for clinical and class days. I love never having to wonder what I should wear to class! I swear picking out my clothes always takes the longest. But just because scrubs are basically jammies doesn't mean you should look like you just rolled out of bed while wearing them! 

As nurses, we are expected to be professional individuals. We're held to high standards everyday. And whether we like it or not, appearances do matter. My first semester clinical instructor was a real stickler for this, too. She expected our scrubs to fit properly, including the length (or in my case, lack thereof). She wanted our hair tied back neatly, not messy. There were a few times where she sent people to go brush their hair. She also wanted us to look rested.

Let's think of it this way. You're a patient in a hospital. Your nurse comes in and introduces herself. Her hair is in a ratty pile on top of her head, no makeup, dark circles under her eyes and she is yawning like crazy. Are you going to want her to put in your IV or catheter? Ummm...I know I wouldn't. I think the same needs to go for us students!

Now in nursing school, we have patient preps, long hours of studying, creating drug and concept maps, care plans, etc. We run on caffeine and hardly any sleep. We're going to be tired! But there is something we can do. Cara of maskcara.com (seriously amazing blogger!) has an awesome tutorial for hiding those under eye circles! Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment