Tuesday, August 13, 2013

So You're About To Start Nursing School

For many of us, school starts back up in the next week or two. And if you are about to start nursing school, I am sure you are nervous. I know I was. So I thought I would offer a few more tips to get you ready.

  • Get everything ready the night before school starts. You do not want to be scrambling in the morning. You'll want your tablet or laptop, books, notebooks, planner, pens, pencils, etc. Pick out your clothes/scrubs, sock, shoes, everything! 
  •  Get some sleep the night before. You want to be well-rested! Take a melatonin, some Z-Quil, drink warm milk. Not necessarily all of them of course! 
  •  Do not expect the first week to be syllabus week! You will go over the syllabus on the first class, but then you jump right into lecture. If you get your syllabus ahead of time, go over it and read the assigned reading before class. 
  • Sit in the front row or as close as possible. It forces you to pay attention and ask questions if you're confused. 
  • Your instructors may not let you record the lectures. So make sure to listen extra carefully and take good notes. If you write your notes short-hand, make sure you can interpret them. I personally would rather take notes on my laptop, since I can type faster than I can write. But then I go home and write down key points. Physically writing information down has been shown to stay fresher in the mind than just typing. 
  •  Keep up with the reading! Nursing school isn't like other classes where you only need to study sometimes. Studying should be an everyday thing. 
  • Nursing school isn't just memorization. It's about understanding concepts and how to apply them to nursing situations. Your instructors will guide you into this process. 
I hope this helped some and if you have any questions, please feel free to comment! 


No comments:

Post a Comment