Wednesday, May 29, 2013

It All Changes...

When you become a nursing student, your life changes. I know. Everyone says that. But as a nursing student who just passed her first semester, I can honestly say that my life has changed. And here is how.

I was a full-time student prior to starting nursing school. I studied and did a lot of homework. Or at least I thought it was a lot. Nursing school is a whole new arena. I study longer and harder, I ask more questions, I over-think concepts. I make sure that I get concepts clarified.

My home life is different. As a wife and mother, my priorities have changed. Laundry doesn't get done quite as often. I do minor cleaning vs. the deep kind. Long gone are the elaborate meals I used to make. Rather than doing all these things, I try to use my time for my family. It's more important for me to play with my kids and spend time with my husband than having a pristine house. I am sure my neat-freak mother has a coronary every time she comes over, but I don't care.

I don't get much "me time." Studying alone in my room is not me-time. When you're in school 3-4 days a week and studying the rest of the time, me-time just doesn't happen often. So I try to schedule in some things that make me feel good. Like watching my guilty pleasure shows, ie Grey's, Scandal, and Days of our Lives.

My last post was about not knowing what to do with myself. So after saying all that and writing this, I know what to do. Spend time with my kiddos, get my house organized and clean, cook delicious meals, read, watch TV, go to the water park, and just enjoy these short weeks before it's back to the grind.

For those about to start nursing school in the fall, take the time to organize your life. Start a routine. Set a cleaning, laundry, whatever schedule. Follow it. It takes 5 minutes to throw a load of laundry in, 10 minutes to fold and put away. Dust on Monday, vacuum on Tuesdays. Hell, vacuum at 2am when you're up thinking about patient X and how to prioritize their care plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment