Sunday, March 31, 2013

Autism Awareness

I am going to take a minute and talk about something important to me. It doesn't necessarily pertain to nursing life. But it is apart of my daily life...autism.

My son has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism. He is an absolutely amazing, sweet, loving, kind-hearted kid. If you look at him, you would think he is just another normal kid. And then he opens his mouth. You'll hear it in his tone of voice and the volume at which he speaks. You'll also notice it in the way he obsesses over Mine-craft and Super Mario Bros. He doesn't always see that you are getting annoyed with him. Although, he is learning about sarcasm, thanks to his older brother and me.

Tuesday, April 2nd, is World Autism Awareness Day and April is Autism Awareness Month. For the entire month of April, we change out all of our outdoor lighting to blue lights in support of those with autism. 1 in 88 children has autism. It is that prevalent. And that is why we need to spread awareness!

I want to use my blog to ask anyone who reads this to change out their porch light to a blue one for the month of April. You can get them at Home Depot and a portion of the money goes to Autism Speaks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Autism-Speaks-Blue-25-Watt-A19-Incandescent-Light-Bulb-A19-120v-25w-E26-24/203178912#.UVjY2lekOrM

To my readers, please feel free to share about how autism has affected your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment