Monday, April 29, 2013

What is a Nurse? And Who Should be a Nurse?

I am going to preface this post with a warning. I know I am going to sound judgy, but for some reason, I feel like I need to say this. Okay...so there's your caution label! 

What is nursing? I really like this answer from Wikipedia (not a trusted source, but whatev!)

"Nursing is a profession within the health care sector focused on the care of individuals, families, and communities so they may attain, maintain, or recover optimal health and quality of life."

Okay, so before I get to my main point, let me share something with you. I don't like people. Meaning, I don't like everyone I meet. I just do not connect with everyone. (But when I do connect with someone, we're besties for life!) Sometimes, I just pretend that I like people and other times, I am not very subtle about my real feelings. It's just who I am.  But for the most part, I try to be a polite person and follow the golden rule.

When I had my aha moment and decided to go to nursing school, I knew I wanted to help people. I knew I wanted to educate people. I also knew that I had to make the conscious choice to not let my people dislike get in the way. I knew I had to let the polite part of me shine through. Well, at least while I am in my nurse role. Unfortunately, I have met quite a few student nurses who...how do I say this? To put it nicely, lack politeness and common courtesy. And these are students who are further up in the program.
Can I give an example? Seeing someone carrying an armload of stuff, walking past them, opening the door, going through it, and allowing the door the close. Or rather than speaking calmly about a situation, they get angry and defensive and others around them become embarrassed. And honestly, it's sad. I think these people are good people, at least from what I have gathered. But are they the type of person who should be a nurse?

When one decides to become a nurse, I am sure they take the salary part into consideration. Along with typically only working 3 to 4 days per week. Being an RN has its benefits! But when deciding to become a nurse - a patient advocate, the person a patient should trust - there needs to be some self-reflection involved. You need to look at why you would be a good nurse, who you are in real life, if you can check parts of your personality at the door.  Now I am not saying you should be Mary Effing Sunshine, but you should know what you are really capable of. 


No comments:

Post a Comment